Rich and Creamy Leche Flan
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1.25 oz. water
- 5 eggyolks
- 2 eggs
- 1 (14 oz) can condensed milk
- 1 (12 oz) evaporated milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Extra time:8hr chilling › Ready in:9hr
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 3/4 sugar and water. Stir over low heat until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium and cook, without stirring until syrup turns deep amber swirling the pan occasionally, about 10 minutes. Quickly pour the caramel in the pan/mold and manipulate the dish until the caramel is evenly covered on the bottom. Set aside to cool and harden.
- In a blender, pour the rest of the ingredients and blend well. Scoop out most of the bubbles. Important step: Slowly strain it through a cheesecloth (regular mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth) or a double mesh strainer into the pan/mold. Use a silicone spatula or the back of a ladle to push the flan through.
- Place the pan/mold in a large roasting pan and fill the surrounding area with hot water until it reaches up to the same height as the flan mixture.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Insert with a knife to make sure it comes out clean. Set flan pan/mold aside to cool comeplety before refridgerating it overnight (covered with foil or saran wrap).
- To unmold the flan, simply run a knife around the sides, place an upside down serving platter over the flan then invert really quick!
Is there any substitute to use 'mold'? - 30 Nov 2012
Great recipe, creamy texture and the caramelization process was simple and easy! My only problem was with the baking time, 300F was too low for my oven and it took extra time for me to cook. Overall the ingredients were perfect, not too sweet... just right! Thank you! It was nice to find a recipe that didn't have like a million eggs! - 26 Apr 2013
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STEAMED AND OVENED LECHE FLAN??TNX! - 03 Feb 2014