A braised dish made out of marinated pork. Pork asado is originally a Chinese recipe that has its own Filipino version.
National Capital Region, Philippines
157 people made this
1 kilo pork pigue
2 teaspoons five spice powder
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 pc. bay leaf
1 pc. star anise
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 - 2 cups water
Extra time:1hr marinating ›
- Combine soy sauce, five spice powder, garlic and salt then mix well.
- Marinade the pork in the combined mixture for at least 1 hour.Heat a cooking pot then put-in the pork along with the marinade and water then let boil.
- Add bay leaf and star anise.Add brown sugar and stir to distribute evenly.
- Simmer for about 40 minutes flipping the meat after 20 minutes or so to tenderize the other side.
- If sauce dries and pork is not yet done, add more water. Boil over low fire until sauce thickens.
- Turn off the heat and remove the meat from the cooking pot.
- Allow the meat to rest for about 10 minutes then slice.
- Transfer to a serving plate and top with the thick sauce.
- Garnish with parsley or spring onions cut into 1″ long sprigs. Best when served with pickled papaya.
Reviews and ratings
Reviews in English (5)
i just made this and it was delicious...thanks for the recipe..its a keeper
30 Dec 2012
Eating it now. Yum :-)
....but I also added 1/4 cup of red wine to the marinade and two laurel leaves while simmering.
23 Feb 2014
User's IP: 18.104.22.168