Mum's Boiled Fruit Cake
63 people made this
About this recipe:
This is a family recipe given to me by my Mum many years ago. This cake is always much tastier the following day and lasts really well.
250ml (1 cup) water
620g (4 cups) mixed fruit
250g (1 cup) caster sugar
250g (2 cups) plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 eggs, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 150 C. Grease a 20-23cm x13 cm loaf tin and line with baking paper or aluminum foil.
- Combine the water, mixed fruit, sugar and butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then cook gently for about 10 minutes.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and mixed spice into a large bowl. Pour in the boiled fruit mixture and stir until well blended.
- Mix in the eggs. Pour into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 90 minutes, until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool cake in the pan for at least 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate