1 / 1 Photo by: Allrecipes Photos
Three meat cannelloni bake
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots. peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 375g minced veal (substitute more pork or beef if you can't find)
- 375g minced pork
- 375g minced beef
- 125ml (1/2 cup) white wine
- 250ml (1 cup) beef stock
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- 2 egg yolks
- 30g butter
- 1,1/2 tablespoons plain flour
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 90g (3/4 cup) grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 litre (4 cups) crushed tomatoes
- 125ml (1/2 cup) very thick (45%) cream
- 500g fresh lasagne sheets
Prep:1hr › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hr40min
- Heat the olive oil in a deep frying pan. Add onion, celery and carrot and cook over moderate heat until softened. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add veal, pork and beef. Cook, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer pink. Add wine and reduce for 1 minute. Stir in stock. Add herbs, bay leaf and salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Uncover and reduce until almost dry. Discard bay leaf. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan set over moderately low heat. Whisk in flour for approximately 2 minutes.
- Whisk in milk, grated nutmeg and salt and pepper. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in parsley and 60g (1/2 cup) Parmesan cheese.
- Transfer the cooled meat mixture to a large bowl. Mix in egg yolks. Mix in the cheese and parsley sauce. Set aside.
- Combine the crushed tomatoes and cream, set aside.
- If needed, cut the lasagne sheets crosswise into 13cm lengths. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta a few at a time until al dente. This should take only a minute or two with fresh pasta.
- Transfer to a bowl of cold water. Spread the pasta in one layer on kitchen paper towel to drain.
- Spoon 3 tablespoons of the filling down the centre of one pasta sheet, and roll up to enclose the filing.
- Transfer the cannelloni, seam side down, to a well greased large baking dish.
- Repeat with the remaining lasagne sheets and filling, arranging in single layer. Ladle the tomato sauce over the cannelloni and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 200 C for 10 minutes, or until bubbling. Heat under the grill about 10cm from the heat for 2 minutes or until golden.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!