Dark Chocolate Cake
1 / 1
1590 people made this
About this recipe:
This is a classic cake to make for a dinner party or when you want a special cake. This recipe makes 3 cakes so you can layer each one with icing or fresh cream and fruit.
500ml (2 cups) boiling water
90g (3/4 cup) cocoa
375g (3 cups) plain flour
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
250g butter, softened
500g (2½ cups) caster sugar
1½ teaspoons vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease three 23cm round cake tins.
- In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool.
- Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla essence. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture.
- Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool before icing the top of each cake and sandwiching them together with icing and/or jam.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate