1 / 1 Photo by: Sarah
Dark Chocolate Cake
- 500ml (2 cups) boiling water
- 90g (3/4 cup) cocoa
- 375g (3 cups) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 250g butter, softened
- 500g (2½ cups) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla essence
Prep:30min › Cook:30min › Ready in:1hr
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease three 23cm round cake tins.
- In medium bowl, pour boiling water over cocoa and whisk until smooth. Let mixture cool.
- Sift together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs one at time, then stir in vanilla essence. Add the flour mixture alternately with the cocoa mixture.
- Spread batter evenly between the 3 prepared tins.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Allow to cool before icing the top of each cake and sandwiching them together with icing and/or jam.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!