1 / 1 Photo by: Suhara
Serves : 4
- 500 g beef, cubed
- 1 cup (250ml) thick coconut milk
- 3 cm cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 4 pieces star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 1 slice asam gelugor
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, slice thinly
- 2 tablespoons kerisik (see recipe)
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- salt to taste
- Cooking oil
- Spice Blend:
- 2 shallots
- 2 cm fresh galangal
- 3 lemongrass, slice the bulb part only
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cm ginger
- 10 dried chillies, soak in hot water discard seeds
Prep:20min › Cook:2hr › Ready in:2hr20min
- Put all the spice blend ingredients into a blender and puree until fine.
- Heat some oil into a pot and fry the spice paste with the cloves, cardamon, cinnamon stick and star anise until fragrant.
- Stir in the beef, coconut milk and asam gelugor and simmer uncovered until beef is almost cooked. Add the lime leaves, kerisik, sugar and salt to taste.
- Lower heat and continue to simmer uncovered until the meat is tender and the gravy is dry. Remember to stir frequently so a crust doesn't form at the bottom of the pot. Cooking time is approximately 1 - 1 1/2 hours.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!