1 / 1
1 person made this
About this recipe:
This basic piped meringue is a light-as-air treat. Sprinkle with hundreds and thousands or coloured caster sugar for decoration.
4 egg whites
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon lemon juice or 1 teaspoon white vinegar
115 g caster sugar
115 g icing sugar
1 tablespoon cornflour
- Beat egg whites and salt until stiff peaks form. Use an electric whisk first at low speed, then at a higher speed.
- Gradually add lemon juice and the caster sugar. Keep beating egg white mixture until it is very shiny and sugar has dissolved.
- Mix icing sugar and cornflour; sift onto egg white mixture. Fold in using a spatula. To retain the air sealed in the mixture, do not stir.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place meringue mixture in a piping bag. Hold bag upright and pipe mixture into individual portions on the tray.
- Place baking tray in preheated oven. Immediately close the oven door. After 2–3 minutes, turn off the oven; do not open for 8 hours.
- For meringues that are to be filled with cream, use your thumb to carefully make an indent in the base of the still slightly moist meringues 1 hour before the end of the drying time.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate