1 / 1 Photo by: Allrecipes Photos
Gingerbread cupcakes with ginger glaze
- 1 1/3 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Ground cloves
- 1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup treacle or golden syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- For the icing
- 1 piece (5cm) fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallised ginger
Prep:15min › Cook:20min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Line a 12-hole tray of 6cm muffin cups with paper liners; put aside. In a bowl combine the flour, ginger, mustard, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon and a pinch each of salt and cloves.
- Beat the brown sugar, treacle and oil with an electric mixer until well combined. Beat in the egg whites, one at a time, until incorporated and light in texture. Alternately fold the flour mixture and the buttermilk into the sugar mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Spoon into the prepared muffin cups and bake for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool in the tray on a wire rack.
- For the icing; grate the fresh ginger finely. Squeeze the ginger to extract the juice and measure out 2 teaspoons. Combine the icing sugar and ginger juice in a small bowl. Spread the tops of the cooled cupcakes with the ginger glaze. Sprinkle with the crystallised ginger.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!