1 / 1 Photo by: larkspur
Citrus and spinach salad
Serves : 4
- 1 ruby or pink grapefruit
- 1 large orange
- 250 g baby spinach leaves
- 250 g rockmelon (cantaloupe) flesh, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 2 spring onions, white parts only, very thinly sliced
- 50 g thinly sliced prosciutto, excess fat removed, cut into shreds
- For the dressing
- 1 tbsp (15ml) best-quality balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15ml) cream
- ½ tsp honey
- salt and pepper
Prep:15min › Ready in:15min
- To make the dressing, put the vinegar, oil, cream and honey in a small screw-top jar. Cover and shake until well blended. Set aside until needed.
- Working over a bowl to catch the juice, peel the grapefruit, removing all the bitter white pith, then cut it into segments between the membranes. If large, cut the segments into bite-sized pieces. Set the grapefruit segments aside on a plate.
- Using a citrus zester, take fine shreds of zest from the orange and set aside. Working over the bowl containing the grapefruit juice, peel the orange, removing all the pith, then cut the fruit into segments between the membranes, then cut the segments into bite-sized pieces, if you like. Add to the grapefruit pieces and set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp (15ml) of the combined grapefruit and orange juices to the salad dressing and shake again to blend. Taste and add more citrus juice, if you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the spinach in a large serving bowl. Add the orange and grapefruit segments, the melon and spring onions and toss together. Shake the dressing once more, then pour it over the salad and toss. Scatter the prosciutto and orange zest over the top and serve at once.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!