1 / 1 Photo by: ibyang531
Kwek Kwek or Tokneneng
Suhara Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- 1 dozen eggs, choose quail or chicken
- cornflour for coating
- bamboo skewer
- oil for deep frying
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- red and yellow food colouring
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoon soy sauce
Prep:15min › Cook:15min › Ready in:30min
- Boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Remove from pot and let cool then peel the shells.
- Prepare the batter by putting a few drops of red and yellow food colouring into the water to get a deep orange colour. Add salt and pepper to the flour. Pour in the water mixture into the bowl of flour and mix well until there are no lumps.
- Heat oil in wok until hot. Dredge the peeled eggs into the cornflour then drop them into the batter so it's fully covered. Then I use the skewer to poke the eggs to drop them into the hot oil and deep fry until the batter is crispy. Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To make the sauce: Mix all the ingredients into a saucepan and heat until the sugar has dissolved. Stir and let cool.
- Serve the eggs with a side of dipping sauce.
Thanks for sharing! - 27 Sep 2012
Is it ok to use a Corn muffin mix? - 09 Nov 2013
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!