1 / 1 Photo by: Mekmolek
- For the coconut topping
- 500 g fresh grated coconut
- 100 g dark palm sugar, roughly chopped
- 75 ml water
- For the rice cakes
- 300 g glutinous rice
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pandan leaf, tie in knot
Prep:10min › Cook:50min › Extra time:1hr soaking › Ready in:2hr
- Rinse the glutinous rice well and soak in a bowl of water for at least an hour.
- Meanwhile make the coconut topping. Put the chopped palm sugar in a saucepan with water and cook until sugar has dissolved and then simmer for a few minutes until syrup has thickened slightly.
- Add the grated coconut, stir and continue simmering until coconut is cooked and sauce has thickened. Remove from heat and cool.
- Drain the soaked rice and give it another good rinse. Put the rice in a deep dish, pour coconut milk, add salt and pandan leaf and stir. Place in a steamer and steam for 30 minutes. Check that it's cooked through, fluff with a fork then remove from heat and cool.
- When the rice is cool enough to handle, shape it in a mold or any shape that you wish and top with sweetened grated coconut and serve at room temperature.
If you can't get freshly grated coconut, use unsweetened dessicated coconut.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!