150 people made this
About this recipe:
This is a very simple moist white cake. It works best if all of the ingredients are at room temperature.
250g butter, softened
3 cups castor sugar
1 tablespoon (15ml) vanilla essence
3 cups plain flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
250ml (1 cup) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 160 C. Grease and flour a 23cmx30cm cake pan or a 25cm Tube or Bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each. Stir in the vanilla.
- Combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder, add to the creamed mixture and mix until all of the flour is absorbed.
- Finally, stir in the sour cream. Mix for 1 or 2 minutes just to be sure there are no lumps. Pour the mixture into the choice of prepared pans.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 60 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre of cake comes out clean.
- For Bundt cakes, allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate