Jan Ellis's Baked Dessert
This is my favourite baked dessert. My mother makes it and serves it with ice cream and custard. It's simple and quick.
1 person made this
For the batter
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup (125ml) milk
1½ cups self-raising flour
125g white sugar
30ml apricot jam
1 tablespoon very soft margarine or butter
For the sauce
1 cup (250ml) water
1 cup (250ml) cream
250g margarine or butter
1 cup (220g) white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 2 litre oven-proof dish.
- Dissolve the baking powder in the milk. Add to the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and bake for 25 – 30 minutes (don’t use a smaller dish, even though it might look a little empty)
- Heat all the ingredients for the sauce till boiling point. Pour the hot sauce over the hot dessert when it comes out of the oven. Let the dessert rest for the sauce to be absorbed.
- Serve warm with custard, cream or ice cream.
Reviews and ratings
Reviews in English (1)
We loved this desert. It was very sweet and delicious. A great hit with the kids - and our 3 year old said "it was great" after his 3rd helping!
23 May 2009
(Review from Allrecipes AU | NZ)
User's IP: 126.96.36.199