1 / 1 Photo by: Ita
Serves : 8
- 1 kilo organic carrots
- 50g sultanas
- 120g assorted nuts (pref: cashews & pistachios) chopped
- 5-6 green cardamoms, peeled
- 5-6 cloves
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg powder
- 5 tbsp ghee (clarified butter)
- 500ml milk
- 6 tablespoons thickened cream
- 200ml sweetened condensed milk
- 200g caster sugar, or to taste
Prep:15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Rinse and dry the raisins. Chop the nuts finely and reserve some for garnishing. Grind the cardamoms and cloves into a fine powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the ghee in a heavy non-stick pan until it melts. Add the cardamom, clove and nutmeg powders to the ghee until it begins to give off aroma of the roasting spices.
- Add the chopped nuts; cook until you get the aroma of the roasting nuts.
- Add the grated carrots to the pan. Keep sauteeing the grated carrot till the water begins to evaporate and the volume of carrots in the pan appears to be lesser.
- Add milk. Let the carrots cook in the milk till almost dry. Keep stirring and cook over a low heat to avoid burning.
- Add the cream and sweetened condensed milk; continue stirring until the mixture becomes slightly dry again.
- When the condensed milk and cream are absorbed, and the carrots are thoroughly cooked, only then add the sugar (according to the sweetness you prefer.)
- Continue cooking until the liquid dries up and the halwa leaves the sides of the pan.
- Garnish with the remaining nuts and serve warm or chilled with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!