1 / 1 Photo by: AnneFrancoise
Beef in red wine casserole
Serves : 6
- 100g flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 kg chuck steak, cubed
- 30ml olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions, green tops removed finely chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 500g mushrooms
- 1 bottle (750ml) red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 beef stock cube
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
Prep:20min › Cook:3hr30min › Ready in:3hr50min
- Mix the salt, pepper and flour together and coat the meat in the flour. Fry it in the oil for approx 5 minutes or until browned and place in a large casserole dish.
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C.
- Fry the shallots in the oil for 3-5 mins adding the crushed garlic for the last 2 minutes, then add them both to the meat. Cut mushrooms into quarters and add to the casserole; warm the wine till it’s just bubbling and stir it in.
- Add the tomato sauce, bay leaf, beef stock and bacon and mix it all together.
- Cover and cook in preheated oven for approximately 2½ hours, then remove the lid and cook for a further ½ hour.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!