1 / 1 Photo by:
Makes: 1 20cm cake
- 5 slabs brown candy (pian tang)
- vegetable oil
- 850g glutinous rice flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- 1 egg, beaten
Prep:30min › Cook:45min › Extra time:1day resting › Ready in:1day1hr15min
- Chop each slab of brown candy into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl. Pour about 500ml boiling water over the candy to dissolve into a syrup.
- Grease a 20cm round cake tin liberally with vegetable oil.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice flour and cooled syrup. Knead until a dough is formed and add about 80ml cold water until dough is smooth and shiny.
- Place the dough in the cake tin and pat down evenly. Coat the surface with 1 teaspoon oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Steam the cake for about 35 to 40 minutes until it begins to pull away from the sides of the tin. Cool completely on a rack. Run a knife along the edge of the cake and unmold onto a platter. Loosely cover and it will be ready to eat the next day.
- When ready to eat, cut the cake into pieces 5 to 6 cm long and 1/2 cm wide. You can serve the cake as is, or reheat it in the microwave.
- You can also dip the slices in beaten egg then pan fry. Coat the bottom of a frying pan with a little oil and fry each piece until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
If making more than a day ahead, wrap the cake tightly in wax paper or cling wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!