1 / 1 Photo by:
Makes : 500 ml
- 250ml coconut milk (preferably freshly squeezed)
- 8 pandan leaves
- 250g sugar
- Pinch salt
- 8 eggs
- 4 slices white bread
Prep:5min › Cook:30min › Extra time:1hr cooling › Ready in:1hr35min
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar and salt until the sugar is dissolved.
- Use a fork to run through the pandan leaves to release the essential oils and aroma. Tie them together and put in a saucepan with the coconut milk.
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil gently. When it starts boiling, stir the coconut milk into the egg mixture slowly.
- When well blended, fish out the pandan leaves and strain the mixture through a sieve into the top part of a double boiler. Gently heat the mixture, stirring constantly, until it thickens into a custard, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool completely before refrigerating or serving.
- To serve, toast the bread and spread with cold butter followed by a thick layer of kaya.
Kaya will keep for about 1 week in the refrigerator.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!