1 / 1 Photo by: Wiley
Tapioca balls with young coconut
Wiley Bangkok (Krung Thep Maha Nakhon), Thailand
- For the sauce
- 500ml (2 cups) coconut milk
- 150g sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 pandanus leaves, cut into 3 cm lengths
- For the tapioca rice balls
- 1 tablespoon rice flour
- 60ml (1/4 cup) coconut cream
- 180g small tapioca pearls
- 125ml (1/2 cup) very hot water
- 80g young coconut meat, shredded
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- First, make the sauce. Bring the coconut milk, sugar and salt to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer.
- Add the pandanus leaves and simmer until the sauce is fragrant. Remove from the heat and strain. Discard the leaves.
- To make the balls, mix the rice flour and coconut cream in a small pot and simmer until the mixture is thickened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Pour the hot water over the tapioca pearls in a small bowl. Stir the pearls gently and let cool for 1 minute.
- Add the rice flour-coconut cream mixture and knead gently into a dough. Let rest for 30 minutes. Roll into small balls about 1 cm in diameter.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop in the tapioca balls. Cook until the balls float and remove to the coconut sauce.
- When all of the tapioca balls are cooked, place the balls and sauce into a bowl. Garnish the bowl with young coconut and serve.
Any dessert with Pandanus leaves is wonderful, subtle, sweet. Good how-to photos! I'd be lost without them. - 26 Mar 2010
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!