Som Tam Thai (Thai style green papaya salad)
A street food classic, to be eaten with sticky rice. If you can find one, papaya shredders are inexpensive and very effective.
Bangkok (Krung Thep Maha Nakhon), Thailand
4 people made this
1/2 green papaya
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 clove garlic
1 tablespoon Thai chillies
2 tablespoons roasted, chopped peanuts
1 tablespoon dried shrimp
1 lime, quartered
6 cherry tomatoes, halved
60g French beans cut into 2 cm lengths
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 tablespoon palm sugar
1 tablespoon tamarind juice
2 tablespoons lime juice
- Peel and shred the green papaya with a shredder designed for this task or using a box shredder.
- Place the salt, garlic and chillies in a smooth ceramic or wooden mortar and pound until well smashed. Add the peanuts and shrimp and pound into a chunky paste.
- Add the lime quarters, pound, then add the cherry tomatoes and French beans and pound, crushing them slightly.
- Add the green papaya and gently bruise, working the ingredients together.
- Season the mixture with the fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice and lime juice. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Serve on a platter and pair with sticky rice to sop up the spicy juices from the salad.
Reviews and ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 220.127.116.11