1 / 1 Photo by:
- 1/2 green papaya
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 3-4 Thai chillies, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons gapi (fermented shrimp paste)
- 1 tablespoon pla laa (fermented freshwater fish)
- 1 lime, quartered
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 tablespoons poo dong (fermented crab)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamarind juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
Prep:20min › Ready in:20min
- Peel and shred the green papaya with a peeler device designed for this task or with a box grater.
- Place the salt, garlic and chillies in a smooth ceramic mortar and pound until well smashed. Add the gapi and pla laa and pound into a chunky paste.
- Add the lime quarters, pound, then add the cherry tomatoes and pound some more, crushing the tomatoes slightly.
- Add the green papaya and poo dong and gently bruise the papaya, working the ingredients together lightly.
- Season the mixture with the fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind juice and lime juice. Adjust the seasoning to your liking.
- Serve on a platter and pair with sticky rice to sop up the spicy juices from the salad.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!