Geng Kyo Wan (Green curry with beef)
This recipe is a basic green curry, delicious and spicy. Serve with jasmine rice.
Bangkok (Krung Thep Maha Nakhon), Thailand
2 people made this
1 kilo stewing beef
1 litre thin coconut milk
For the curry paste
2 heads garlic
5 shallots, chopped
3 stalks lemongrass, sliced
2 kaffir limes, peeled
120g green Thai chillies
4 cm chunk of galangal, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons fermented shrimp paste
4 kaffir lime leaves
5 baby brinjal, quartered
200g pumpkin, cut into chunks
For the garnish
30g Thai basil, stemmed
fish sauce and dried chillies to taste
- In a large pot, heat the coconut milk and add the beef. Stew the beef until tender.
- While this is simmering, mash the curry paste ingredients in a mortar and pestle adding one at a time, starting with the garlic and ending with the fermented shrimp paste. Smash all until fine.
- In another pot, ladle the fat off the beef stew and use this to fry the curry paste.
- Once fragrant, add 500ml more coconut milk from the beef stew and reduce.
- Add in the remainder of the beef stew.
- When the beef is almost tender, add the brinjal and pumpkin and continue to cook until all is tender.
- To serve, garnish and season the curry with basil, fish sauce, and dried chillies.
Reviews and ratings
Reviews in English (0)
User's IP: 126.96.36.199