1 / 1 Photo by:
- 1 whole chicken, cut at the joints
- 15 cups (4.5l) water
- 5 cm ginger, crushed
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Cheesecloth Spice Bag
- 7 1/2 cm cinnamon stick
- 5 star anise
- 2 cardamon pods
- 10 black peppercorn
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 450g beansprouts, tailed and blanched in hot water
- 300g shallots, sliced and fried till golden brown
- 4 sprigs chinese celery, chopped
- sliced bird's eye chillies in light soya sauce
Prep:20min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hr5min
- Tie up the spice ingredients into a small cheesecloth bundle and crush lightly with a pestle to release the flavor.
- Add water to a large pot, put the spice bag, crushed ginger and garlic and bring to a slow boil. Add chicken and simmer until the chicken is tender. Make sure to remove the layer of scum from the soup occasionally. Add salt and white pepper to taste.
- When the chicken is cooked remove from pot and set aside to cool before tearing the meat into small pieces. Strain the soup.
- Assemble the chicken pieces, nasi impit, pergedel goreng and garnishings on serving dishes. To serve the soto, put a few rice cubes, some beansprouts, pergedel and chicken in a serving bowl. Fill bowl with hot chicken soup and garnish with fried shallots and chinese celery. If you want it spicy, add a little bird's eye chillies with soya sauce.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!