1 / 1 Photo by:
- 500g spaghetti noodles, cook and set aside
- 500g mackerel
- 500g prawns, deveined and shelled. Save shells for stock.
- 300g salted ikan kurau, soak in water to soften
- 50g dried shrimp, soak in water to soften
- 100g grated coconut to make kerisik (see recipe)
- 6 cups (1.5l) water
- 2 cups (500ml) thick coconut milk
- 3 lemongrass, pierce and smash the bulbs
- small bunch of polygonum leaves
- 5 pieces asam gelugor
- Cooking oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Spice Blend:
- 30 dried chillies, soak in hot water and discard seeds
- 8 shallots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2cm ginger
- 2cm galangal
- 2cm turmeric
- 1 tablespoon fish curry powder
- 1 cucumber, cut in matchstick slices
- 2 long chinese beans, sliced finely
- 2 large red onions, sliced thinly
- 3 red chillies, sliced
- a few sprigs of mint leaves, torn
- a few sprigs of polygonum leaves, shredded
- 100g beansprouts, remove ends , rinse and dry
- fresh halved kasturi limes
- Sambal Belacan, to taste
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Simmer the cleaned whole fish in a pot of water with the prawn shells until cooked. Remove fish and let cool before separating the flesh from the bone. Flake the flesh in small pieces. Strain the stock and reserve.
- Tear pieces of the salted fish away from any bones, add the softened dried shrimp and the flaked flesh of cooked fish and put in blender and mince till fine. Set aside.
- Blend together the spice ingredients until fine, adding a little oil to make a paste.
- Heat a little oil in a pot and fry the blended spice ingredients till fragrant. Add asam gelugor, lemongrass, a handful of polygonum leaves and stir.
- Add in the reserved stock to the pot and stir the ingredients together and bring to boil for 10 minutes. After that, add the minced seafood, kerisik and coconut milk. Lower heat and stir frequently. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook until the sauce begins to thicken and just before serving, throw in the fresh prawns, making sure not to overcook it in the sauce.
- Serve the gravy on top of the spaghetti and add garnish.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!