1 / 1 Photo by: Suhara
- 600 gms of mackerel
- 6 cups (1.5L) water
- 3 sprigs polygonum leaves (daun kesum)
- 2 ginger buds, sliced
- 4-5 pieces asam keping, (dried tamarind slices)
- 5 tablespoons (75ml) tamarind juice
- 600 gms thick rice noodles (laksa noodles)
- Salt and sugar to taste
- Spice Blend:
- 10 shallots
- 2 lemongrass
- 2.5 in fresh galangal
- 5 dried chillies, soaked in water, discard seeds
- 3 fresh red chillies
- 1 teaspoon dried shrimp paste
- 1/2 fresh pineapple, sliced in small pieces
- 1 medium cucumber, cut in matchstick slices
- 2 large red onions, sliced thinly
- 3 red chillies, sliced
- a few sprigs of mint leaves, torn
- a few sprigs of polygonum leaves, shredded
- Black prawn paste condiment (petis)
Prep:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Simmer the cleaned whole fish in a pot of water until cooked. Remove fish and let cool before separating the flesh from the bone. Flake the flesh in small pieces.
- Strain the stock and add to the pot with tamarind juice, ginger buds, polygonum, fish and sugar to taste.
- Blend the spice paste ingredients until fine. Add to the stock along with the asam keping. Simmer for 20-30 minutes and the soup thickens slightly then add salt to taste.
- Blanch the laksa noodles in boiling water, drain and set aside.
- To serve: Put some noodles in a bowl and ladle the soup over it. Put a pinch of each garnishing ingredient over the top and serve.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!