1 / 1 Photo by: Allrecipes Photos
- 500 g (4 cups) plain flour
- 150 g (1 cup) finely chopped or ground almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 250 ml (1 cup) honey
- 175 g (3/4 cup) brown or white sugar
Prep:2hr50min › Cook:15min › Ready in:3hr5min
- Moisten a baking tray and cover with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, ground almonds, salt, spices, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl.
- Heat the honey and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring, until the honey is fluid and the sugar has melted. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
- Add the honey and sugar to the flour mixture. Mix everything with the dough hook of an electric mixer or food processor, or with a wooden spoon. Then knead vigorously on a floured work surface with the balls of your hands.
- Using a floured rolling pin, roll out portions of dough between two layers of baking paper. Cut out shapes as desired.
- Place the cookies on the baking trays about 2 cm apart. If possible, leave for 2 hours before baking so that the sugar combines evenly with the flour.
- Preheat oven to 165°C. Brush the cookies with water (See Note for more tips). Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15–25 minutes, taking care that the cookies are not darkening too much during baking or they will taste bitter. Transfer to a wire rack to cool. Decorate as desired.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
What did you think? Tell us everything!